Beginning the week of May 17, 2020, if you are a court attendee, you will be required to check-in at the tent in the Town Hall parking lot near W. 2nd South St. You will then be directed to which court to proceed to.
- Anyone who attempts to enter the facilities will be required to have their temperature taken by a first responder from Summerville Fire & Rescue. Entrance will not be granted to anyone with a temperature of 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit or over.
- Masks are encouraged.
- Staff will sanitize commonly touched surfaces in common areas throughout the day.
- Hand sanitizer dispensers have been installed throughout the facilities.
All notices have been sent out to the address that was on file with the rescheduled court date. You can check your court date by going to https://publicindex.sccourts.org/Dorchester/PublicIndex/PISearch.aspx and entering your name or case number to check your reschedule information. Staff will be available by phone at (843) 875-2010 for payments and questions Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Payments can also be made online at SC.gov or dropped off in our overnight payment receptacle outside Town Hall.
Welcome to Summerville Municipal Court. This court is part of the integrated judicial system for South Carolina and serves as the judicial system for the Town of Summerville. This court handles traffic and criminal misdemeanor violations and town ordinance and environmental code violations. Our goals are to:
- Treat all persons equally and fairly, in accordance with the laws and administrative authority given by the South Carolina Supreme Court
- Promote public trust and confidence in our court
We strive to be as efficient as possible through the use of technology and to continually enhance our operational practices based on benchmarks and industry best practices.
Dorchester County maintains all records for Summerville Municipal Court cases. You can search the records by browsing to and selecting Summary Court. Summary Court records from 1988 to present are available online.
Court is held every Tuesday and Thursday at 9 a.m. It is also held on the 1st and 2nd Thursday of the month at 3 p.m. and the 3rd and 4th Tuesday of the month at 3 p.m.
- Jury trials are held on the 1st Friday at 9 a.m.
- Domestic Violence Court is held the 2nd Friday of every month at 1:30 p.m.
- Bond hearings are held daily at 10 a.m
Not allowed in the courtroom:
- Activated pagers or cell phones
- Concealed weapons
- Disruptive children
- Food or drinks
- Hats or improper attire
- Talking during the proceedings