SUMMERVILLE, S.C. (Thursday, March 19, 2020) – Summerville Town Council has declared a State of Emergency in the town of Summerville to take effect until 11:59 p.m. Thursday, April 9, 2020. The decision was made at a special called council meeting on Thursday, March 19. This action was made in the best interest of public health and out of an abundance of caution in helping to prevent transmission of the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). It temporarily suspends normal operating procedures of Town Council and authorizes the Town Administrator and Mayor to develop and enact a plan to ensure the continuity in the delivery of government services during the COVID-19 emergency.
All Town offices are closed to the public. Services for permitting, planning, zoning, business licensing, code enforcement, and general requests are available online through the CitizenServe portal or by phone.
- Town Hall: (843) 871-6000.
- Administration: (843) 851-4200 or (843) 851-4201
- Building Permits: (843) 851-4205
- Business Licenses: (843) 851-4215 or (843) 695-6508
- Code Enforcement: (843) 851-4219
- Fire Department: (843) 873-5107
- Municipal Court: (843) 875-2010
- Parks and Recreation: (843) 851-5211
- Planning/Tree Permits: (843) 851-4214
- Police Department: (843) 871-2463 or (843) 875-1650
- Public Works: (843) 851-4225
- All traffic/criminal court and preliminary hearings will be rescheduled for April 2020. The only sessions that will be held are bond hearings daily at 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. if necessary. Staff will be available by phone at (843) 875-2010 for payments and questions Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Payments can also be made online at SC.gov or dropped off in our overnight payment receptacle outside Town Hall.
- 2020 Farmers Market has been postponed.
- Fire Department’s Car Seat Installation classes are canceled.
- Movies in the Park for Friday, March 27 is canceled.
- Staff will work with permittees on upcoming rentals.
- All deadlines for fines, penalties, and fees or the deadline for any other act required by the Town are temporarily suspended.
- Commercial Design Review Board (CDRB) meeting for March 19 is canceled.
- Special Board of Architectural Review (BAR) meeting for March 26 is canceled.
- All notice provisions, public hearings, and second readings are suspended.
- All Town spring sports programs have been postponed.
Public Works activities, including trash and yard debris, will continue with limited human interaction.
The Town advises the public to take precautions issued by the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and the World Health Organization.
For more information on Town services, visit www.summervillesc.gov or call the appropriate department.