- Building Department
The Building Department’s mission is to insure public safety, health and general welfare by ensuring the structural strength, stability, sanitation, adequate light and ventilation of all structures within the Town of Summerville. The Building Department’s goal is to enhance safety to life and property from fire and other hazards attributed to the built environment. These potential hazards could arise from:
- Use and occupancy of buildings, structures or premises
Permits & Inspections
All building permits can be applied for by clicking here for the online portal.
In order to accomplish the Building Department’s goal, we require permits and inspections on new buildings, renovations and repairs to the building structures and building systems to include the installation and maintenance of all electrical, gas, mechanical and plumbing work. Under this definition, the following projects also require a permit:
- If your gas or electrical service has been off for six months or more, a permit is required for a gas or electrical safety inspection before that service will be restored.
- Installation of modular storage buildings
- Roofing work
- Swimming pool installation
- Vinyl siding installation
Carpet installation and painting do not require a building permit.