Planning & Zoning
The Planning Department provides a wide-range of public services in regards to planning and zoning, including: Processing land use applications; Providing public information related to zoning, mapping, and historic preservation; Preparing and reviewing long-range plans, policies and programs that promote land use policy established by Town Council; and, Enforcing land development regulations for the Town of Summerville.
The department also provides staff support to the Town’s Planning Commission, Commercial Design Review Board, Historic District/Board of Architectural Review, Board of Zoning Appeals, and Tree Advisory Protection Committee, and coordinates all applications and/or requests to be considered by these citizen-appointed commissions and boards.
- What is zoning?
- How do I find out if my property is located in unincorporated Dorchester, Charleston or Berkeley County or within the Town of Summerville? Why is that important?
- How do I find the zoning and allowed uses of my property?
- I am considering rezoning, or changing the use of my property. What do I need to do?
- How can I find out the rules for developing or making use of my property?
- Can I split (subdivide) my land?
- What are the building setbacks on my property?
- What if I need an address?
- What if I want to remove a tree?
- What is the Planning Commission?
- What is the Design Review Board?
- What is the Historic District/Board of Architectural Review?
- What is the Board of Zoning Appeals?