What is zoning?

Zoning provides the standards and regulations that apply to land and structures in the Town of Summerville. These standards and regulations help implement the Town's Comprehensive Plan that contains goals, policies and recommendations of how development in the Town is to be achieved. 

The Town has numerous zoning districts. Each one has a list of permitted uses and standards for building setbacks, densities, and heights. Additionally, some areas may have overlay districts that stipulate additional design guidelines, such as in the Downtown Historic District.

Show All Answers

1. What is zoning?
2. How do I find out if my property is located in unincorporated Dorchester, Charleston or Berkeley County or within the Town of Summerville? Why is that important?
3. How do I find the zoning and allowed uses of my property?
4. I am considering rezoning, or changing the use of my property. What do I need to do?
5. How can I find out the rules for developing or making use of my property?
6. Can I split (subdivide) my land?
7. What are the building setbacks on my property?
8. What if I need an address?
9. What if I want to remove a tree?
10. What is the Planning Commission?
11. What is the Design Review Board?
12. What is the Historic District/Board of Architectural Review?
13. What is the Board of Zoning Appeals?
14. How do I know if my project has to go before a Committee, Commission, Board or Town Council as part of the review process?
15. How do I fill out a CitizenServe Application?